Saturday, April 19, 2008

{Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett}

I seriously can't believe I finished it! A thousand pages of heart wrenching love, hate and discord. I feel like I know a lot more about living in the 1400s. I felt like I was there. That people then did not really have all that different thoughts and feelings that we have now. The beauty of cathedrals and in designing them was shown with words breathtakingly. It made it obvious that many people will do anything for gain. Many do not think of the common good, but would rather live in splendor and refuse even as much as forgiveness and charitable contributions. But there are many who, like our savior, continue to show forgiveness and mercy unceasingly. They give to those who need, even when they themselves don't have. That worldly wealth can never be truly fulfilling. It can be stripped away from you in but a few moments. But as we all know, relationships that we build here with our family can last into the eternities.


As far as recommending this book: I couldn't put it down. I couldn't help but feel attached to many of the characters. I learned a lot from it and I have surprisingly been able to relate it to my life now. However, there was some foul language - if it were my own book I'd black it out, but I borrowed my copy from the library. There was also one particular character who always did visciously dirty things. I would have to skip a page or two here and there to avoid a dirty scene. But all in all, I loved it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{my music}


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones